[Collection] General questions

All general discussions for Mars Tomorrow
Alpha Survivor
Terrestrial

Re: [Collection] General questions

Postby Alpha Survivor » 06 May 2018, 22:57

I have wondered what the purpose of Secondary Resources to the colony is. I do know that you get more money for these resources than once the resource is no longer a primary or secondary resource. My real question is, does bring this resource to the colony help level it up faster in any way?
(i.e. is the consumption of my critical resources every 5 minutes reduced because I have brought secondary resources, etc. Or does the colony grow faster once critical resources are green)?

Respectfully,
Alpha Survivor
starquake
Supporter

Postby starquake » 07 May 2018, 17:10

Hi Alpha,

The secondary resources do not make the colony level faster.

The info tip says "Secondary resource, will only earn Marsdollars upon delivery".
Secondary resources exist so that when the colony levels you still have a destination to deliver the old resources, for example if the colony leveled while you were sleeping then the destination still exists and your old routes are still valid. Your routes while we were sleeping on secondary resources will still earn you money. If you are saving money for new licenses right after the colony levels then it is a good idea to stick in the old route (on the resource that disappeared, the one that shifted to the new secondary resource), the stock levels are empty again and the old license pays the highest.

Secondary resources also exist on the colony so that you will also be able to deliver them in future races or personal jobs.

You will notice that you can not deliver, to the colony, a resource that has not shown up on the colony before (during the leveling process). All resources that were ever on the colony during the leveling process will end up being secondary resources after they rotate through. Sometimes too if you are looking to raise money for new licenses then you can check what secondary resource pays the highest and make a chain route to supply it. I DO NOT recommend 1 way takes emptying an outpost to feed a secondary resource! The outpost feeding the secondary resource is going to be in a future race! In this case, if you empty the outpost, then everyone in the colony will suffer from high loading time, and extended duration of race, which will slow down the colony since people had to race longer! Get out of the old routes as soon as possible and get working on that new colony level on the new resource! (info for all players) The sooner you get in the new resource the faster the new license starts paying you back, and usually the new resource pays more!
Virtual Star
Space Traveler

Phase Changes

Postby Virtual Star » 19 May 2018, 10:18

I have a couple of questions about the different phases. When I move from one phase to the next, will the previous phase's outposts and transporters disappear and be replaced by new ones or will new outposts and transporters be added on to the existing framework? Does the research tree get replaced by a new tree or do more techs get added on to the existing research tree? Thanks in advance. Virtual Star
starquake
Supporter

Postby starquake » 19 May 2018, 17:52

Hi Virtual Star,

If you are online at the time of the phase change then the phase change happens seamlessly and converts to the new phase, you don't have to logoff or anything like that. Existing outposts will stay as they are but some new output resources for that phase will appear on some of the existing ones, in some of the previously empty spots new outposts will appear with new resources.

You keep all the stored research points you have, it is a good idea to have a full bank of research to start on the new tree, the new tree is separate and will be for the new phase, you can still access the old phase trees to fill in some research you didn't do, say some research bonuses for instance.

You keep the transporters you have, what you want to do is research in the new phase tree and then replace your transporters when you have researched enough that the new transporter is better, you can check in the replace button and it will show you what you lose and gain. You will want to replace your transporter, say liquid for example, when your liquid tree is researched enough and has more speed x capacity than your old one. Don't underestimate efficiency and reliability when you think about replacing, these are also valuable characteristics... what good is that capacity bonus if you didn't do reliability and you wake in the morning and your transporter is at half speed? So I make sure I do reliability too.

You also keep the energy you have stored. In the new phase change you can upgrade the hangar some more levels and buy new transporters, each phase has a new hangar level cap where you can add some more transporters to your fleet.

In short, every new phase has it's own new separate tree, all previous phase trees can be accessed.

There is more information in the Guides & Tutorials section. There is a good 12 minute general game-play video which everyone should watch because there will be at least one thing you will pick that up you didn't know.

Starquake.
Virtual Star
Space Traveler

Re: Phase Changes

Postby Virtual Star » 19 May 2018, 19:13

Thanks, Starquake. You answered most of my questions. So, my old transporters can still be used to collect from the new resource outposts, but won't be as good as the newer ones? I put a lot of research into Bugs, for example. I'd hate for all that to become obsolete in Phases 2-8. Of course, any new transporters that I add will be the newer versions, but I'd like to keep my old ones until the new ones are "up to speed". Thanks for the tip on reliability. I haven't been researching that very much. I just repair my transporters about every 15-30 minutes. lol I think I'm wasting Mars Dollars by doing it that way though.
starquake
Supporter

Postby starquake » 19 May 2018, 19:59

Putting lots of research into bugs is good, this will earn you money to pay for upgraded research facility to research faster into the new phase tree. You will be doing a full replace of your whole fleet in each phase because you will research faster transporters, this is good.

When your hangar completes for the first time in the new phase the best transporter may still be a phase 1 transporter until you researched far enough into a tree.

This is how you use turbo:

Turbo is to get the last dying life out of a transporter before you repair, the repair costs are the same no matter what condition the transporter is.
So if you are looking at your transporter and he is at 80% condition, you may say to yourself, well he is too slow I want to repair. But wait!
You can turbo him to bring him up to the same speed as a transporter that is in 100% condition(at normal speed) before you repair.
So what you do is turbo him from 79% to like 72%-69% and then turn off turbo and repair, then you run in normal speed again. Essentially you are extending the revenue generating life out of him before you repair.

There are routes that are positive cash flow in turbo and routes that are negative cash flow in turbo, or routes where you are flat on money.

Examples:

1) Transporter is in 85% condition in turbo, check the revenue at this condition, the revenue is 50,000, repair is 14,000. So you hit repair while he is in turbo and you find the new revenue is 64,000. So this is going to pay for the repair and what you will be doing is delivering more resources but you will be flat on money, this is good! Good time to repair.

2) You can have a guy that is in 100% normal, check the revenue, the revenue is 70,000. Press turbo, what is the new revenue? The revenue of the guy at 100% in turbo is now 84,000. This pays for your 14,000 repair. So this is a good guy to turbo right from 100%.

3) You have a guy in 100% normal, check the revenue, the revenue is 24,000. Press turbo, what is the new revenue? The revenue is now 28,000, repair is 14,000 and your revenue only went up 4,000. Not a good route for turbo because you will be paying Marsdollars to deliver more resources, your cryptominer will be funding the repair and not this specific transporter.

4) You can have a group of transporters in positive cash flow in turbo, and maybe 1/3 of them are in negative cash flow, say solids. Solids feed Elec A which make your gases faster, if your gases are the positive cash flow, then turbo your solids to make your gases faster and use the extra money from the gases to fund the repair of the solids feed.

5) Sometimes you want to turbo when the colony is about to level to get it into population growth even though you are negative cash flow. When the colony pops all the resource supplies are empty and it is smash money. In this instance you are out money turboing but investing in your future opportunity for rich money after the colony pops.

As soon as possible, when the colony levels, everyone should be jumping onto the new resource to take advantage of the high prices and make the colony flip again for smash money! You don't look at the price of new licenses and say to yourself, "boy those are too expensive, I don't want to buy these". Buying a new license is like buying a new license to print money. Nobody said at the beginning of the game, "Man water licenses are too expensive! I am just going to park on the base and polish the chrome on my transporter for 83 days and not deliver and make sure these transporters look nice and shiny." No! So when ozone comes onto the colony and it looks too expensive, it is not! No! Go buy that ozone and make the colony flip again and again and again and get it into smash money!

...So many players see new licenses as too expensive and delay picking up the new resource. This is a big mistake! If you think it is too expensive, then who is doing the resource!? If others are doing the new resource that you think is too expensive then share the burden with them! Don't let them level the colony on their own while you sit back and roll in the mud snorting about in the money you are making by not shifting transporters. Oink oink!

Get out of those secondary colony resources and help everyone level the colony!

Every new phase brings transporters with higher capacity, so you will need more licenses when you get these transporters, buying new licenses is never a waste.
Virtual Star
Space Traveler

Re: Turbo Mode and Licenses

Postby Virtual Star » 19 May 2018, 20:58

Wow. Thanks for all the great tips, Starquake. I rarely use turbo mode, because I don't know enough about it. I've mainly just been using it for delivery races. I've also been repairing my transporters way too often (in the 97-99% range) which is wasting lots of Mars Dollars, apparently. I assumed that the repair costs were based on their health percentages. I didn't know that the repair cost is the same no matter when you repair them. That changes my entire strategy. So, a good general rule would be to turbo at around 80-100% and repair at around 70%?? I've never bothered to do the math to determine if using turbo constantly was profitable, but I'll start checking that from now on. As for licenses, I have been hesitant to buy them a few times, but I usually end up doing so in the long run, so I might as well buy them the first time it calls for them. One more question. Is breathable air going to be used in the other phases or just in phase 1? It's very profitable in phase 1 and I'm investing a lot of money into licenses for breathable air and am about to research the Global Price Bonus for it, so I'm wondering if I should continue on that path. Thanks again for all of your tips. You've really put a lot of thought into this game and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
starquake
Supporter

Postby starquake » 19 May 2018, 21:47

Read the Turbo info I wrote and you will know when to use turbo. Just play with the guys 1 by 1, turn turbo on, see what he makes, turn it off, see what he makes, look at a guy at 85% on turbo, see what he makes, repair him, see what he makes in turbo repaired. You will get a sense for it pretty quickly. Keep in mind the repair cost changes the more you research into a tree.

Through each phase the chains get longer and longer. All chains start in water or salt for the most part. Since breathable air is in the chain then more resources will be added to the back of that chain, breathable air(BA) is essential.

Later in phase 8 your route will be:

oxy, BA, co2, methane, fuel gas(colony delivery), oxy, fuel gas(colony delivery).
Fuel gas has 2 inputs, 1 methane and 1 oxy. So 1 trip you bring methane, the other trip you bring oxy. This is all programmed into one transporter at the same time for a bring methane 1 time and bring oxy the second time. This example is in the guides as a picture link.
Virtual Star
Space Traveler

Postby Virtual Star » 19 May 2018, 22:49

Got it. Thanks again. You've been most helpful.
starquake
Supporter

Postby starquake » 20 May 2018, 01:12

Please post further questions in the NEW thread for General Questions.

This thread is out of date.

Return to “General Discussion”